Alpha Spitters are the larger and more powerful variant of the Spitter. They come in two colors: Red and Green.
Hostile ranged creature. Its presence is indicated with a hissing sound. Attacks the player on sight with its fireball attack. Their fireballs have the same color as their mouths. They have more than one attack type: for example, they can fire an orb followed by a single shot. Fireball attacks can be negated by hitting it with a Rifle or Xeno-Basher. Their attacks are slightly explosive and thus capable of killing each other.
Red Alpha Spitter
Red Alpha Spitter is the more common variant, specialized in scattered-shot.
|Scatter||10||A large fireball that splits into four after a certain distance.|
|Orb||10||Fires an orb midair which shoots 18 smaller fireballs.|
|Melee||10||A melee attack that deals knockback damage if the Engineer is too near.|
Its attacks are slow and loosely aimed in the general direction of the engineer, this also means some of its attacks can be dodged even when standing still.
Green Alpha Spitter
Green Alpha Spitter is the rarer variant, specialized in quick and long-range attacks. It has more health than the red variant.
|Single||20||A quick fireball that travels in almost a straight line.|
|Orb||10||Fires an orb midair which shoots 18 smaller fireballs in quick succession.|
|Melee||5||A melee attack that deals knockback damage if the Engineer is too near.|
To dodge these you just have to change the way you are moving.
- Equip a Xeno-Basher and approach them with care.
- Make sure you have at least 50 HP left to tank their melee attack.
- As they spit fire orbs at you, dodge sideways. Keep changing your movement pattern, as each new projectile will attempt to target where you are going to be.
- Spam melee attacks on them. They will try to knock you back with their short-range fireball, but with lower damage. Their melee attack can be avoided if you crouch slide under them, and as a bonus, any projectiles traveling towards you will hit them instead. Follow them when they run away, and slide under them again when they stop moving to attack.
- After a few rounds, they should be dead.
- You can build an Equipment Workshop or foundation ramps near them as cover. Take note that their fireballs are slightly explosive, which means their splash effect can still penetrate the wall.
- Once they start to begin their melee animation try to distance yourself if you are not already under them; they cannot stop midway and you will get a window to attack with no damage as they try to recover from the miss.
Long range combat
- Use a Rifle to snipe them from a distance. Don't enter their aggro range. If you stay far enough they won't even care that you are shooting at them.
- If you enter their aggro range, they will come after you as you shoot.
- If you move too near, they will be aware that you are shooting at them and they will start attacking back.
- No recorded changes