Flying Crab Hatchers burst when damaged or if an pioneer gets too close, spawning three Flying Crabs, each with a different attacking pattern. One of the three will charge towards the pioneer in a straight line, one will fly in a serpentine pattern and the other one will circle the pioneer and sneak up from behind. After hitting the pioneer, the crab will ragdoll on the ground, then after a few seconds, it will start flying around again.
If the hatcher is destroyed from a distance, the Flying Crabs will alternate between moving short distances and hovering, patrolling near where their hatcher was.
- Once you have unlocked the Rebar Gun or Rifle, shooting the Flying Crab Hatcher and Flying Crabs from a distance is the easiest way to kill them.
- Flying Crabs despawn automatically after 30 seconds if no pioneer is nearby, so you actually only need to shoot the hatcher. If you get too close the crabs won't despawn.
- Nobelisk is not effective against them. Crabs can easily move out of the explosion range.
- If only a melee weapon is available, such as a Xeno-Zapper, ensure you have at least 50 HP left (5 segments).
- Build an Equipment Workshop near the Flying Crab Hatcher. It has a window and roof with some walls that provide good cover.
- Try to only trigger one Flying Crab Hatcher at a time.
- The hatcher will spawn three flying crabs.
- First kill the one which is charging at you in a straight line. You need two hits with a Xeno-Zapper or one hit with a Xeno-Basher.
- If the crab takes damage, it will fall to the ground and roll. Move forward and kill it.
- Similarly, a crab that attacked you will also bounce away and roll on the ground.
- One of the remaining Flying Crabs will be right behind you. Turn around and attack it.
- The other might already have bumped into you from the other side. Each crab's tackle attack deals five damage (half a segment).
- Back off and watch them, and attack whichever comes to you first.
- Repeat until all 3 crabs are killed.
- Loot the dropped Alien Carapace for later use.
- If you are low on health, you may choose to flee. Be aware that flying crabs can outrun the player in a straight line, even while running so be very careful moving around flying crab hatchers if without a melee weapon or at low health without a healing item on hand.
Flying Crabs themselves drop nothing, but a destroyed hatcher drops a reskinned Alien Carapace.
- Patch 0.3.4.11: Increased hitstun on the Flying Crabs a little more
- Patch 0.3.4.10:
- Increased the size of Flying Crabs to make them easier to hit and track
- Increased the stun delay and downward force on the Flying Crabs so they are on the ground a little bit longer
- Patch 0.2.1?: No longer simply fly in straight lines, but have three different movement patterns, making defeating them significantly more challenging