The Hyper Tube is a pipe-like transport system used to quickly transport pioneers over long distances. A Hyper Tube Entrance is required for entry, but not for an exit. Hyper Tubes are non-directional and can be entered from both ends if an Entrance is placed on each end.
Pioneers can change the travel direction or nearly stop during mid-flight by holding the directional key (W or S). No Tube junction or crossing is possible. If the Tube is built through terrain or trees, pioneers traveling inside will be able to clip through.
The Hyper Tube has four construction modes: Default, Conveyor 2D, Noodle, and Vertical. Different build mode can be cycled by either pressing or holding R.
- Default: The default build mode.
- Vertical: The tube will attempt to maintain at the same level as the starting point, then turns vertically when approaching the ending point.
- Noodle: The tube will try to maximize its curvature radius such that it appears smooth, and it is calculated by aligning its arc tangent at both the starting and ending points.
- Conveyor 2D: Similar to default mode but with a much smaller turning radius, useful when building a tube in another build mode is not possible.
Hyper Tubes have a maximum length of 100 meters before an additional Hyper Tube Support is required. They do not transmit power, therefore each Entrance must be separately powered for it to be usable.
Travel speed is decreased when traveling upwards or marking sharp turns and is increased when traveling downwards or in a straight line. When entering a Hyper Tube, the pioneer's entry velocity is added to the Tube's velocity boost, which, when chained, allows for the construction of cannons that can propel pioneers with speeds exceeding 500 km/h, making it over four times faster than the Electric Locomotive. It is currently one of the most effective means of crossing large distances.
If the Hyper Tube booster is built correctly, this is the gained speed based on entry velocity and the number of entrances:
|# of Entrances||Speed
(Running with Blade Runners)
|1||54 km/h||58.27 km/h|
|2||65.34 km/h||70.45 km/h|
|3||78.84 km/h||84.96 km/h|
|4||94.85 km/h||101.8 km/h|
|5||113.94 km/h||122.27 km/h|
While inside, the pioneer will not aggro nearby hostile creatures, however, the damage will be received if they come in contact, which may even throw the pioneer out of the Tube. Hyper Tubes will shield the pioneer from out-of-bounds damage. Hyper Tube cannons pointed downwards can deal significant fall damage when the pioneer is slammed against the landing point.
Hyper Tube cannon
- Hyper Tubes somewhat resemble the Tube Transport System from Futurama.
- In a multiplayer game, pioneers phase through each other if more than one is within, and can drag pioneers standing on the top of the Tube. The Tube can be constructed into a loop once another pioneer enters it, getting them stuck with no exit.
- The metal rings on the Tube aren't spaced out evenly.
- While traveling inside the Tube, Blade Runners equipped by pioneers will visually disconnect from their leg. This is purely a graphical glitch.
- If you switch hand items while traveling inside of a Hyper Tube, you can use them (to a limited effect).
- There is a rare chance that when a Space Giraffe-Tick-Penguin-Whale Thing is at the exit of a Hyper Tube Cannon when the pioneer is launching itself out, it will bump the pioneer to hit the ground instead and die instantly.
- For the first few frames when the player enters the Hyper Tube it will appear as though they are underneath it.
- While Hyper Tubes require power to be entered - if power is tripped or cutoff from the Hyper Tube while the pioneer is still transiting it, there will be no impact and they will continue on the normal path of the tube.
- Patch 0.3.8.5: Fixed player camera and hands becoming off centre for Clients when using a Hyper Tube
- Patch 0.3.6.1:
- Fixed being able to upgrade Pipelines into Hyper Tubes
- Hyper Tubes restored to their original 100 meter max length
- Patch 0.3.6:
- Changed the maximum segment length
- Pipelines and Hyper Tubes can now be upgraded into each other (bug)
- Patch 0.3.4.15: Fixed a memory leak and crash related to building Hyper Tubes
- Patch 0.3.2.0:
- When travelling in Hyper Tubes the player character should no longer be affected by water and the bounce effect of the Space Giraffe-Tick-Penguin-Whale Thing
- Hyper Tubes no longer prompt an interaction text
- Patch 0.3.1.0: Hyper Tubes no longer give double refunds when dismantling
- Patch 0.3: Introduced