The Particle Accelerator is a building used to craft advanced late-game recipes. Unlike other production buildings, its power consumption fluctuates and varies per selected recipe. The least power is consumed at the beginning of a crafting cycle and it increases to the maximum throughout the duration of the crafting cycle.
|Recipe Name||Crafting Time (sec)||Ingredients||Products|
|120||150x Non-fissile Uranium75/min|
20x Aluminum Casing10/min
|20x Encased Plutonium Cell10/min|
|120||200x Copper Powder100/min|
1x Pressure Conversion Cube0.5/min
|1x Nuclear Pasta0.5/min|
|60||100x Non-fissile Uranium100/min|
25x Uranium Waste25/min
|30x Plutonium Pellet30/min|
|Recipe||Starting consumption||Peak consumption||Average consumption||Cycle duration|
|Instant Plutonium Cell||250 MW||750 MW||500 MW||120 s|
|Nuclear Pasta||500 MW||1500 MW||1000 MW||120 s|
|Plutonium Pellet||250 MW||750 MW||500 MW||60 s|
The Particle Accelerator can be overclocked using Power Shards. Overclocking increases the input/output speed of the Particle Accelerator at the cost of greatly increased power demand proportional to output.
|Clock Speed||Power (MW)||1 Nuclear Pasta||1,000 Nuclear Pasta|
|10%||12.6 ~ 37.7||20 min (1200s)||13 days 21 hrs 20 min|
|25%||54.4 ~ 163.2||8 min (480s)||5 days 13 hrs 20 min|
|50%||164.9 ~ 494.8||4 min (240s)||2 days 18 hrs 40 min|
|75%||315.5 ~ 946.6||160s||1 day 20 hrs 26 min 40 s|
|100% (Default)||500.0 ~ 1500.0||120s||1 day 9 hrs 20 min|
|150%||956.6 ~ 2869.7||80s||22 hrs 13 min 20 s|
|200%||1515.7 ~ 4547.1||60s||16 hrs 40 min|
|250%||2166.1 ~ 6498.2||48s||13 hrs 20 min|
- Given the massive power consumption of the Particle Accelerator, it is highly advisable to build more of them and underclock each, if there is enough space and materials to do so. For example, building twice as many and underclocking all to 50% reduces total power consumption by roughly 33%, as well as allowing them to run at different intervals.
- Prior to update 5, the collision box of the building was a solid cuboid. This meant most other buildings could not be built through the empty spaces of it, except Railways and similar. Update 5 added complex clearance (complex collision meshes) to many buildings, including this one, allowing other buildings to be built inside much of its empty space.
- Power Storages can be used to mitigate the effects of the fluctuating power consumption. To calculate the number of Power Storages required for this, we must consider the maximum charge rate of Power Storages and the recipe being used in the Particle Accelerator. While Power Storages can discharge unlimited amounts of power, they can only charge at a maximum rate of 100MW. For that reason, we need a number of Power Storages that is sufficient to consume all the excess power during the periods in which the Particle Accelerator is using less than average power. The Power Storages and Particle Accelerator together then have a fixed combined power demand of the average power consumption of each recipe.
- You would need 2.5 Power Storages per Particle Accelerator configured with either the Plutonium Pellet or Instant Plutonium Cell recipe. Average power consumption of the Particle Accelerator would be 500MW with minimum power consumption of 250MW, leaving a maximum of 250MW for charging Power Storages.
- You would need 5 Power Storages per Particle Accelerator configured with the Nuclear Pasta recipe. Average power consumption of the Particle Accelerator would be 1000MW with minimum power consumption of 500MW, leaving 500MW for charging Power Storages.
- In Patch 0.4.0.11, the Nitrogen Gas usage of the Instant Plutonium Cell recipe was removed, meaning the Pipeline input is left unused.
- The building is named "Hadron Collider" internally, which was its in-game name until it was properly implemented in Update 4.
A setup of Particle Accelerators creating Plutonium Pellets.
- Patch 0.4.0.0: Made officially available, renamed from Hadron Collider