The Refinery is a building used for crafting recipes involving fluids. Most notably, this includes recipes transforming Crude Oil into Rubber, Plastic, or Fuel, but it is also used as part of advanced production recipes, such as refining Bauxite into Alumina Solution and then further into Aluminum Scrap. It has one Pipeline and one Conveyor Belt connectors for both input and output, allowing for the production and consumption of recipes involving fluids and/or solid items.
The Refinery is noteworthy for producing by-products as part of its process. For example, refining Crude Oil into Rubber produces Heavy Oil Residue, which must be dealt with, or else production of the primary output will stop.
|Recipe Name||Crafting Time (sec)||Ingredients||Products|
|12x Alumina Solution120/min|
|1||4x Alumina Solution240/min|
|6x Aluminum Scrap360/min|
2x Heavy Oil Residue15/min
|2||1x Heavy Oil Residue30/min|
2x Packaged Water60/min
|2x Packaged Fuel60/min|
|4||12x Alumina Solution180/min|
4x Petroleum Coke60/min
|20x Aluminum Scrap300/min|
|6||6x Crude Oil60/min||4x Fuel40/min|
3x Polymer Resin30/min
|6||3x Crude Oil30/min||4x Heavy Oil Residue40/min|
2x Polymer Resin20/min
|4||6x Solid Biofuel90/min|
|4x Liquid Biofuel60/min|
|6||4x Heavy Oil Residue40/min||12x Petroleum Coke120/min|
|6||3x Crude Oil30/min||2x Plastic20/min|
1x Heavy Oil Residue10/min
|12||16x Polymer Resin80/min|
|6||6x Crude Oil60/min||13x Polymer Resin130/min|
2x Heavy Oil Residue20/min
|5||2x Caterium Ore24/min|
|1x Caterium Ingot12/min|
|24||6x Copper Ore15/min|
|15x Copper Ingot37.5/min|
|12||7x Iron Ore35/min|
|13x Iron Ingot65/min|
|8||9x Raw Quartz67.5/min|
|7x Quartz Crystal52.5/min|
|6||6x Heavy Oil Residue60/min||4x Fuel40/min|
|6||6x Polymer Resin60/min|
|6||4x Polymer Resin40/min|
|6||3x Crude Oil30/min||2x Rubber20/min|
2x Heavy Oil Residue20/min
|12x Alumina Solution240/min|
|8||3x Copper Ingot22.5/min|
|3x Copper Sheet22.5/min|
|5x Sulfuric Acid50/min|
|8||5x Heavy Oil Residue37.5/min|
4x Compacted Coal30/min
4x Compacted Coal15/min
A Refinery stops working if any of its output, whether the belt slot or the fluid slot, is fully backed up if the recipe involves by-products. To keep the refinery running, BOTH its products must be constantly removed from it.
- To handle solid by-products: Connect the Conveyor to an AWESOME Sink via a Smart Splitter with an 'Overflow' rule.
- To handle fluid by-products: Connect the Pipeline with a pipe overflow mechanism, then package the fluid with Empty Canisters. The packaged fluid can then be sent to the AWESOME Sink.
A Refinery has a recommended head lift of 10 meters, measured from the center of its pipe outlet.
- Oil-product refining is a multistage process, and the uses of specific machines tend to change. A useful technique is to wrap a stack of belts and pipes up one side of a row of Refineries, around the far end and down the other side, with the output side of the Refineries facing toward the origin of the belt. This way, individual Refineries can be easily reconnected to different inputs and outputs, and any Refinery in the complex can draw from the output of any other.
- Placing Refineries in the center of a 5-foundation-wide slab and running input/output manifolds through the center of the outermost foundations places them at the perfect distance to be reached by a Conveyor Lift or vertical pipe branch.
- Patch 0.3.6:
- New visuals
- Slightly smaller size (width from 12 m to 10 m and height from 30 m to 21 m), can now clip through part of the smokestack
- Moved packaging and unpackaging recipes to the Packager
- Existing Refineries will continue to work, but it will not be possible to select the recipes on newly built ones
- Diluted Packaged Fuel wasn't moved as it is not just a packaging recipe (Heavy Oil Residue is being refined to Fuel)
- New visuals
- Patch 0.3.2.2: Reduced power consumption from 50 to 30 MW
- Patch 0.3.1.0: Fixed position
- Patch 0.3:
- Renamed to Refinery.
- Now is used to refine other fluids besides Crude Oil
- Now can package and unpackage liquids
- Some recipes now produce by-products
- Added a Pipeline in/output.
- Patch 0.1.9: Adjusted alignments of input and output
- Patch 0.1.5: