- The building hitbox is about 20 m x 19.5 m, however, the space required to place it down is 25 m x 25 m. Thus, it is recommended to build the Water Extractor first, then build the Foundations (if desired) around it.
- Can be snapped to Foundations or other extractors.
- Sometimes, it can be difficult to place the Water Extractor down due to the depth of the water and the view angle. It is advised to stand on higher elevation such as on a Lookout Tower or ladders before building the Extractors.
- Water Extractors must be built on deep water. When building it, a warning will display if the target water is too shallow. Rivers are usually considered shallow water.
- Water Extractors need a vertical clearance of at least nine meters below the water surface. This refers to man-made buildings only. For example, if a Foundation is located nine meters below the water level, an extractor can then be built above it.
- There are exceptions: as the deep water area classified by the internal game code does not totally match the terrain appearance, there are some areas where Water Extractor cannot be built on them, in which case one must find another water source. However, there are some areas where you can build water extractors despite possessing an inadequate depth of water, or no water at all.
- There is a workaround with underwater Stackable Conveyor Poles, see below.
While staying above ground, it can be difficult to align Water Extractors as there are no snapping points. If one desires the Water Extractor to snap to something, the following method can be applied. Please note: A Jetpack is required.
- Build a stack of Stackable Conveyor Poles underwater, preferably on an underwater Foundation at least 11 meters deep, up to the water surface, then climb down the ladder to the bottom of the body of water. Tap ↓ slowly to avoid swimming away.
- Remove one or two Stackable Conveyor Poles from the top and aim the hologram of the Water Extractor at the water surface. A point 3.75 meters away from the center of the Water Extractor will be snapped to the center point. This is 0.5 meters from the side surface of the ladder or 1.5 meters from the center of the ladder. Refer to the diagram.
- If you leave the ladder while in this state, you won't be floating in the water and can die of fall damage. Use the Jetpack to re-surface. If you are already on the waterbed, pressing the jump key will also return you to the swimming state.
- The Water Extractor pipe outlet is not at its center. It is offset by 0.75 meters to the left, so it won't align with the 1-meter grids on Foundations.
- The center of the Water Extractor pipe outlet is positioned at 2.5 meters above the water level.
Proper snapping method
To snap Water Extractors to a foundation grid, you must be pointing at a foundation while placing the Water Extractor. The following technique can be used to make this easier:
- Build a Foundation 8m x 4m where you want the output Pipeline to connect. The top of this foundation should be close to the water surface.
- Build a second Foundation 8m x 4m on the far side of where the Water Extractor will be placed. Make sure to leave three foundations of space between the foundations.
- Stand on the first foundation.
- Build a Water Extractor while aiming at the second foundation.
The Water Extractor should snap to the same grid as the second foundation. If you want to snap to the grid of the first foundation make sure it is on the same grid as the second foundation.
This also works from the side, but can be trickier to line up as the snapping point is off-center.
Additionally, holding Ctrl allows the Water Extractors to be snapped next to each other
A Water Extractor provides a head lift of 10 meters, measured from the center point of its pipe outlet.
|# of Shards||Overclock %||Water||Power usage|
|0||50%||60 m3||6.6 MW|
|0||100%||120 m3||20 MW|
|1||150%||180 m3||38.8 MW|
|2||200%||240 m3||60.6 MW|
|3||250%||300 m3||86.6 MW|
|# of Extractors||Power Shards
|Coal Generators sustained||Water extracted||Power consumed||Pipes needed|
|1||1||4||180 m3||38.3 MW||1|
|3||0||8||360 m3||60 MW||2|
|3||2||16||720 m3||181.8 MW||3|
|3||3||20||900 m3||259.8 MW||3|
- Patch 0.4.0.0: Implemented proper snapping functionality for Water Extractors
- Patch 0.3.4.4: Now should be place-able again in water with enough depth
- Patch 0.3.4.3: Now should be place-able again in more locations (there are still some issues)
- Patch 0.3.4.0: This patch made Water Extractors no longer snap to the water surface, making them impossible to place.
- Patch 0.3.3.0: The fluid display now shows the correct amount
- Patch 0.3.2.1: Now should no longer be upgradable to Geothermal Generators
- Patch 0.3.2.0: Now should no longer be disconnected from water on load when the water volume has been replaced
- Patch 0.3.0.1: Fixed some water volumes on the map causing the Water Extractor to stop outputting. Affected Water Extractors will have to be rebuilt
- Patch 0.3: Introduced
Image of the Water Extractor shown in the Update 3 Trailer
Water Extractors involved in Aluminum production.